Friday, January 4, 2013
I thought for this first Friday of my blog I would give a small tutorial on knitting.  I LOVE to knit!  It was something my grandmother taught me, and I picked it up quickly, but also read books on how to get better at it.  In college, I would knit scarves, hats, socks, blankets, I almost joined a knitting club with some ladies in the small town where I went to school so that I could sit at their feet as they knitted far greater projects than I could dream of, but they met on a night I couldn't meet.

Before my grandmother passed away she knitted me several scarves.  I have kept them, and some of them were too small for my taste, so I passed them down to my daughter, who wears them regularly (I wish my grandmother were alive to see how much she loves them).  This week, my son (age 3) requested a scarf, and I could not find a boy colored scarf from my grandmother, so I rummaged through my craft closet and found my knitting needles and some green yarn just dying to be used!  I had not picked up my needles in almost 6 years...but it came back rather quickly and within a few hours, my son had a new scarf.  I hope he treasures it like my daughter and I both treasure the ones made for us by my grandmother.  In fact, I wish I had a picture, because at her funeral all of us grandkids wore the scarves she had made each of us individually.

So in honor of my grandmother who passed away December 17th, 2008 here is a video tutorial I found on You Tube.  My suggestion BTW for yarn is to get baby yarn to start with, it is soft, works great, easy to manage, and stretches.  I use several different size knitting needles but the ones I make scarves out of (which is a great way to start) are size 6 and can be found at Walmart.

Anyone else knit??  I would love to see or hear about your projects or any other tutorials you can share!

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest
Powered by Blogger.

Welcome!

Welcome!
Looking forward to connecting with you about Life, Wellness, and being Uniquely You!

Catagories