Monday, January 14, 2013
Friends...I'm choosing this topic because as I wrote last week, we lost a great friend in Amy last week to cancer.  After processing, and attending her funeral, I can't help but write about friendships.  It hit me harder than I thought.  Mostly because I miss the friendships I once had in my teenage years, and although I knew I was blessed back then with great friends, you don't realize how great they are until you don't see them as often.

Growing up in the 90's was a fun and unique period.  Let's see, grunge, alternative, computers, Pearl Jam, techno, got any more??  I had a wonderful experience (not perfect) but I grew up with a group of friends who stood by each other.  We all went to different schools, we often times didn't talk every day, but we connected on Wednesdays and Sundays at Forest Hill Church, here in Charlotte, NC.  It was awesome.  We gathered, socialized, did probably pretty stupid things sometimes.  We sang, learned about Christ, and followed our youth leaders around like we were disciples or maybe more like ducks following their Mamas.  I have so many fond memories.

But, what I want to say is there were several points that stuck with me at the funeral Wednesday.  The first is my desire to be a GREAT friend to people not just a Good friend.  One of the girls was by my friend's side the ENTIRE time she battled cancer.  She served Amy so well! Unconditionally!  The second was a trait Amy had with her friends and that was to be constant and consistent.  The final and last quality or who I want to strive to become is a person who trusts God unconditionally.  It was described at the funeral regarding Amy, that she had NO CHOICE but to trust God with her daughter and her husband.  She had to let go and just completely leave it up to God...her situation was completely out of her control, and she LIVED like she trusted God.  I must admit that I like to hold things close.  Do you?

I wanted to say to these friendships, I was so blessed to have in the 90's,  you all are the foundation of my walk with Christ.  It started with you!  Your friendships were the first that I was able to process my walk with God with.  I feel so blessed seeing a number of you at her funeral.  I often take the friendships in my life for granted.  And, many of them I pass by.  They take work, and require being selfless which can be hard.  I desire those kind of relationships, I think it is what God wants us to experience in real community.

Lord, help me be a  good friend to the friends that I have around, may I be consistent and constant, may I learn to trust You in all areas of my life by letting go to things (people), I hold close.  May You have all the glory for who You have molded me to be, but make no mistake friends, God used each one of you to help me with my journey!



Us Now.

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Instagram Follow Me on Pinterest
Powered by Blogger.

Welcome!

Welcome!
Looking forward to connecting with you about Life, Wellness, and being Uniquely You!

Catagories